Monday, November 21, 2005

Time to do a 360!

It's finally time...the week when the Xbox 360 is finally going to be launched onto the commercial market. I have had mine reserved for almost a month, and have had November 22 marked on my calendar for a month longer than that. So, the past couple days I've been pondering what makes games so appealing to folks. Here is what I've come up with:
  • Competition - People who love to compete are attracted to gaming. Whether it is against the computer or another person, video games hit that "I've got to win" nerve.
  • Immersion - Sure, going to a movie is a great experience, and filmmakers are masters at creating an atmosphere that leads to a "suspension of disbelief", but gaming goes to the next step. You are the character and in many games you even create the scenario.
  • Opportunity to Fail - Got to a point in the game that's tricky? No problem just try it again, and again, and again. Each time you get a little closer, find the weak points, learn the tricks. Some boards just take time, but the game is never truly over.
  • All About the Story - Over the past decade video games have honed their story telling ability, which I think has helped lead to a more mainstream presence of the medium. Case in point, try to explain the story behind Pac Man. Now tell me the story behind Halo/Halo 2. There is a great article on this topic on Slate.com.
  • "That's Hot" - I think part of the hype is just that, hype, but with the reasons above who cares?

Other ideas?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bob said...

I'm perfectly happy with my Commodore Vic-20, thank you.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com